Way out of my depth....

and loving it!!

I've joined a Round Robin with some other talented quilters and the centre block is due by the end of this month!! (I thought I had til the end of March) So with the rain and drizzle hanging around I decided it would be a perfect day for quilting otherwise it won't be finished on time.

So about a month ago I decided on the centre I would like. The quilt(at the moment but subject to change) will become a wall hanging for my sewing room. I love bright colours but wanted to try something different so had pale, soft pastels in mind when I began......
After over an hour of looking through all my materials and deciding I can't really afford any new ones this month (well DH said I/we can't!!)and not having many pastels to choose from it has, of course, completely changed tracks...I have used this material as my inspiration (purchased from The Humming Mini) and am now back on to the bold and bright that I love!!

With that the way-out-of-my-depth part began. The centre is to have curved pieces from templates. I have ever only used templates in my very first sample quilt, in a drunkards path block, with a constant watch from the teacher, and here I am attempting nine small pieces to make an equilateral triangle, of which I need 6 to make the block....which will end up as a hexagon!!!
So very carefully I traced the pattern onto template plastic and added the 1/4 inch seam allowance..and then I looked at the pattern more carefully and saw that it is supposed to be enlarged by 133%...dam!!

I cut them out anyway and continued on....I lay all the pieces on top of one another and thank goodness they line up perfectly!!
It is now time to cut the fabric...I hesitated....have I made good choices...better do a mock colour copy first...so I trace the triangle 6 times, start to colour them in and debate the colours and colour-in some more and change my mind and swap them around some more...I ask DH's opinion....bad move...he says they look fine...but something is missing...I'll ask Helen...she is at work...ask DH again...should have learnt the first time...he says they look fine...something is not right...rummage though the fabrics again...lay them out...re-arrange them again.... I think I have it right....off to wash the fabrics....

Comments

Emma said…
Nice fabrics! I wonder how Helean and Joy are headed with the 'deadline'? I think I'm going to struggle - we can always say mid March if we need!
Emma said…
Oops, can't spell Helen!
Lily Mulholland said…
They are lovely fabrics. Is this for the Spring Fling? Enjoy :)
Helen said…
Bugger! I was at work! Bugger! Could have asked Daz! LOL It looks fantastic AJ! My hat off to you hon, it looks hard! It will look great when done, I know it will! Emma, ummmm, I have sketched out my idea, I need to buy some white fabric, white! OMG! Chartering into unknown territory already.
Emma said…
Are you going to stick with the smaller size? Now you've added the photos, I can see how intricate and stunning it will be.

Popular posts from this blog

{3rd Birthday} Octonauts party

The Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

Sew your stash thin 2013